Thursday, September 11, 2008

One Year Later...

This week marks the one year anniversary of the fatal shootings of 3 officers. This horrific day was our own September 11th. It has been a quiet week this week, no big memorials and the media has said little about the anniversary. But it still is very much on everyone's mind. Matt always said the best things about these 3 men. I remember when Arlie was training him, Matt told me how sweet Arlie was on the phone to his wife. He had little nicknames for her and he would get lovey dovy and gushy on the phone not caring who was around him. He was also a very devoted baptist. Matt said the only time he saw Arlie lose his cool was when someone was talking bad about baptists. Everyone looked up to and respected Arlie. Scott was a man who couldn't stop giving. Matt and Scott went to the academy together and instantly connected. Scott spent many hours at our house ripping up floors, putting in floors, fixing electrical problems etc. etc. etc. We learned later we weren't the only ones Scott gave hours and hours of service to. He always talked about how much he loved police work. I didn't know Able, but Matt has always talked about what a nice guy he was. I know he was loved by many.
Thousands turned out for each of their funerals. Although the churches were literally packed with standing room only the silence was awesome. There was such reverence for each of them. Hundreds of officers from departments all over the state and further attended in full uniform. At the end of each funeral the police chief gave a final roll call, this is how the police end their shift, he had to end their shift for them.
A lot has changed in a year but we still remember these 3 heros everyday. Matt has always called his fellow officers his brothers. This brought them even closer together. It has also taught me to enjoy life and love the people we care about. It also renewed my belief that we will see the people we love again.

2 comments:

Juliann said...

I remember that night vividly. I can't believe it was a year ago. This post is a very nice memorial to them and a positive way of looking at a terrible tragedy. I remember how impressed you were with the community support and the respect so many people showed these brave and good men.

missy said...

Shan, this is a great tribute to Matt's brothers. Like Jul, I remember clearly when this happened. I could hear it in your voice how sad and hurt you and Matt were. I didn't know these officers at all, but I ached for their families. I'm glad O Town game them the honor and respect that they deserved. Thanks for reminding me how fragile life really is and how grateful I am that I know this life is not the end.