Friday, September 5, 2008

Friday Night Lights


Well its that time of year again. Football season. Not just football season but high school football. Every Friday night this fall you will all know what my family is doing along with the entire town. When I was in high school, football games consisted of wearing your craziest school spirit outfit, standing the entire time talking to friends. I didn't know people actually watched the game. Anyway, football here is serious business. The high school kids get a little section way off on the end and the rest of the stands are for season ticket holder. That's us. We own the right to our seats for life. Crazy. Not my idea.
Although I know very little about football I will say that there is nothing quite like going to a game here. The stands are absolutely packed. Old and young come out to watch no matter the weather or time. We are die hard fans. One night the game was postponed because of a tornado warning. We calmly waited in the truck in the parking lot for the game to start. Although I'm not the biggest football fan the atmosphere and crowd are certainly fun and exciting. There is one thing I really don't get and that is the homecoming mums. They are huge. The bigger the better. Some have full sized stuffed bears on them. Then the ribbons have to drag on the floor. Even boys wear these mums. I don't see the beauty.

3 comments:

Miriam Oh Painter said...

i was asking myself, "What is a mum?" now i know. I guess i would need to be from or living down south to get the whole high school craze...

missy said...

HOLY MUM! I've heard you describe these mums before, but I didn't picture them half as big as they are in the pic! That is so funny, I can't stand it. Must be a Texas thing, right!? Have fun at the games, we'll be thinking about ya'll on Friday nights! P.S. Do you actually follow the games now, or do you just pretend?

Juliann said...

Umm, I think you should make your own and go even more crazy. . . Pull out all the stops. Fake birds, peacock feathers, ribbons to the floor. . . oh, wait, they already do that.

Mind-boggling.